Thursday, January 27, 2011

Day 59 - Chris Medina

Day 59.

Though I may watch the same movie every day, I don't claim to be immune to all other forms of pop culture. It just so happened that I tuned into a little show called American Idol last night (some kind of singing competition, don't know if you've heard of it), which was weird for me because I haven't watched Idol in years (or since Andrew Garcia & Crystal Bowersox were robbed last season). Anywho, I only tuned in because my good buddy Jack reminded me that they were showing the Milwaukee auditions and as an ardent supporter of all things Wisconsin, I was pumped to see them pimping the local scenery and landmarks. Needless to say, I was not ready to have my heart broken by Chris Medina.


I dare you not to be emotionally moved by his story. Like, I know people might say this about a lot of things, but that was literally the saddest thing ever. Goddamn. I usually hate it when American Idol pushes overly sentimental contestant narratives on audiences, but even their schlocky production values and manipulative teasers couldn't take away from how devastating Chris Medina's story was. "What kind of guy would I be if I walked out when she needed me the most?" Goddammit, that line just destroyed me. Chris Medina is too good a guy. Oh, also, he sang pretty well too. I guess you have sucked me in again, American Idol. After seeing that, how can you not back this guy? He's already something of an internet sensation, so the least I can do jump on the bandwagon (sadwagon?). His fiancée's foundation's website can be found here if any of you are interested in supporting these two. Fuck, this was sad.

I realize that this has little/nothing to do with Julie & Julia, but I thought it'd be nice to take a moment and step away from our ironic, snarky blogs and truly appreciate what we have in life.

Oh wait! Chris Medina! Doesn't that name sound familiar? That's right--Chris Messina plays Eric Powell and just happens to be the Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project's most hyped-up folk hero, Not Mark Ruffalo! I knew something about that name was familiar. So this story is relevant to the blog! Damn, I'm good at avoiding posts that actually talk about the movie.

P.S. On a less sad note, keep sending in your suggestions for the 1st Annual Julie/Julia Awards! Lawrenceandjulieandjulia@gmail.com.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "My 3-year-old is more capable of helping."

No comments:

Post a Comment