Monday, January 24, 2011

Salmon, Fennel and Parsnip Stew for Two



Before I tell you all about this recipe and what I have been up to these days, I must thank all of you for the kind comments and wonderful feedback regarding my upcoming book. I greatly appreciate the support and knowing that you will be there in 2012 excited to see it.

Thank you.



As you might suspect, it has been quite busy around here. I spend most of my mornings cooking, styling and shooting recipes for the book. There are always thousands of ideas floating around in my head and it is not always easy to narrow down to those that will make it into the manuscript. So for now, I am testing away and editing later.

I start my days early. Buckwheat porridge, eggs and hot tea are my usual. I help J. get ready for school and start thinking of the recipes for the day. I have a wonderful girl that is helping me with M. in the mornings while I work. It would be impossible otherwise. She is in her discovery phase (aren't they always?) and lens caps, reflectors and tripods seem to be her favorite toys.



One of the highlights of my day is when M. and I sit down for lunch. She runs to the table, tries to climb up on to her high chair and grabs her spoon. Ready to eat. She takes after me.

This time it was salmon stew made with leeks, fennel, parsnips and a touch of coconut milk. M. ate it with a smile on her face. Pieces of salmon with one hand and parsnips with the other. I had picked up some microgreens at the farmers markets days before and added some to mine. I love the sweet and bright flavor of the purple shiso. It really complemented the soup.

The salmon came as a gift from the kind people of Norwegian Salmon whose campaign had been running on my blog. It really was a delicious soup.



I also wanted to tell you about the trip M. and I took last weekend to see my friend Nadia in New England. It was a winter wonderland. The snow, the farm, the cows, the chickens, the horses.... I loved spending time with her and it was beautiful to see M. bond with her. Nadia posted some photos of our weekend in her blog.

We also had an amazing lunch at Bea's house. She cooked a delicious meal for us. Soup, crab, apple and fennel slaw verrine, salmon with watercress pilaf and asparagus and my favorite, pistachio financiers and chocolate cake, which I ended up having for breakfast the next day. It was beautiful to watch M. and Lulu laugh and play together. Fun girls.

Thank you Nadia and Bea for your hospitality. I will be eternally grateful.



And to top it all off, my parents arrived this weekend.

I'm in heaven.

Salmon, Fennel, Parsnip and Coconut Stew

Makes enough for 2 people

2 Tbs olive oil
1/2 leek, washed and sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 fennel bulb, diced
2 parsnips, scrubbed and diced
1 cup vegetable stock
1 cup coconut milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
8 oz salmon, cut into chiunks
Microgreens as garnish (optional)


In a medium pan, heat the olive oil and cook the leek, garlic and fennel for about 5 minutes until tender. Do not let it get brown. Add the diced parsnips, vegetable broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper.

Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 5-10 minutes until parsnips are tender. Add the salmon, cover and let it simmer for another 3 minutes or so, until it turns light pink. Adjust seasoning.

Serve with microgreens, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment