Monday, February 28, 2011

Sophie Dahl's Eton Mess and Watermelon Radishes



Sunday, we picked up our eggs from Robert. Three dozen to be exact. Oh yes, we go through eggs like crazy around here. M. loves her egg in the morning, oozing runny yolk and all. I have lots of baking planned for the week and the farmers market was my stop to get all my provisions.



We had a big dinner planned so lunch was simple. Roasted tomatoes, blue cheese and sliced watermelon radish with yogurt and dijon dressing. Something light and quick to keep us going.

But then came dessert.



Searching for inspiration, I laid out cookbooks and magazines on the living room floor. Sometimes just browsing through UK's Country Living and definitely Elle À Table, I get a surge of ideas coming through me. Then I glanced over to my right and I saw the back of Sophie Dahl's "Voluptuous Delights". There it was. The white and rose rhubarb eton mess with crushed up meringue, a wave of heavy cream and poached rhubarb. Such beautiful color.

I thought of the rhubarb I had in the fridge. The first rhubarb of the season. I had stewed it for breakfast that morning and still had some leftovers.

That photo was just too tempting.



Whipped the egg whites and slowly baked the meringue mounds until crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Served with lightly whipped cream and the stewed rhubarb.

It didn't even make it to dinner. A mid afternoon sweet snack. Just because.



Eton Mess with Rhubarb

adapted from Sophie Dahl's Voluptuous Delights

3 egg whites
3/4 cup caster sugar
pinch of salt


Whip the egg whites until light and fluffy. Slowly sprinkle in the caster sugar and salt while whipping. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spoon out the meringue forming 6 mounds. Bake at 250F for 1 hour.

Stewed Rhubarb

8 oz rhubarb, diced
1/4 cup cane sugar
1 lemon, juice and zest


Cut the rhubarb into pieces and toss them with sugar, lemon juice and zest. Cook for about 5 minutes until soft. Do not cook it to mush and keep pieces whole.

Serve the meringue with whipped cream and the stewed rhubarb on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment