Thursday, March 17, 2011

Day 108 - Today's In-Flight Entertainment

Day 108.

I don't get why some people hate flying so much. Sure, most flights are pretty cramped and congested and airport security can be a hassle sometimes *insert full body scan joke here*, but I don't know--there's still something pretty novel about crossing half of the fucking country in a couple of hours. Plus, I can always catch up on my movies/TV shows, and by that I mean watch Julie & Julia again.

Please return your tray tables to their upright & locked positions
after you have finished your daily viewing of Julie & Julia.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention--the reason I was flying this morning is that I'm visiting my older brother, Lance, and his fiancée, Maria, in San Francisco this week for spring break. I've only been here a few hours, but so far, I have to say that the West coast is a pretty happening region.

Also, this might have been the first time I watched Julie & Julia in a semi-public place. I usually don't really think that there's anything that strange about a 20-year-old male enjoying an inoffensive female-centric culinary drama when I watch it in the comfort of my own room, but today, I was strangely self-conscious about the whole thing.

I don't know, maybe it had something to do with the fact that immediately after the Captain (whose name was Kirk, by the way. I got a good chuckle out of that.) announced that it was okay to use electronics, I whipped out my laptop and proceeded to reach into my backpack to pull out a Julie & Julia DVD. I didn't realize it until then, but that's pretty weird, right? The idea that some college-aged dude who not only owns his own copy of Julie & Julia, but actually takes it out on airplanes to watch during the flight? It's a rather bizarre image, is it not?

I don't know, maybe I'm just not secure enough in my own convictions. But I will say that I definitely started to feel a little creepy when I covertly snapped a few photos of my laptop.


It did not help that I was taking photos of Amy Adams' cleavage.

It was around then that everyone sitting around me started to shoot me the usual weird looks. And I don't blame them. Like, really--I can just imagine the conversations that took place behind me.
"Why the fuck is that Asian dude watching a DVD of Julie & Julia on a plane? And on top of that, why does he look so uncomfortable and unpleasant? He is visibly fidgeting around and clearly not enjoying the film--I don't get it, why doesn't he watch something else? Why doesn't he just sleep through the flight like a regular person? What a peculiar sight. Oh yeah, and now he's taking some pictures of his laptop as he is watching the movie. That's not abnormal behavior at all. I sure hope he isn't a terrorist. Shit, did I just say 'terrorist' on a plane?" 
So yeah, these are the things that consume my life. And yes, I could always sleep through flights like a normal person, but then I'd miss out on the complimentary half-a-can-of-Sprite and packets of individually wrapped pretzels that they hand out. And Goddammit, I fully expect to get what I pay for.

I didn't actually take this photo.
The other passengers were weirded out by me enough as it was.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Julie & Julia Quote of the Day: "She's dating this rich guy who owns a plane.

No comments:

Post a Comment