Thursday, April 7, 2011

Day 129 - How Much Love is a Bushel and a Peck?

Day 129.

At approximately the 1 hour and 40 minute-mark of my screening of Julie & Julia each day, this song (performed by Doris Day) enters my mind and inevitably becomes lodged at the forefront of my consciousness for the rest of the evening. I used to not mind it much--I even found it to be enjoyable at one point--but it's since worn out it's welcome.


One thing in particular bothers me about this song--the lyric "I love you a bushel and a peck." (Well, I guess that's pretty much the whole song) What does that mean, quantitatively speaking? Like, numeral-wise, is that a high or low quantity of love? And that's relative to what? Is it possible to love someone a pound and an ounce? Or if she's a dimepiece, perhaps a metric ton and a kilogram? I'll admit, I am not familiar with the metric system, so maybe that's why the bushels and/or pecks elude me.

Basically, the question I'm trying to posit is: How much love is a bushel and peck?

Apparently $18 worth, according to this illustration.
(So that's like, a 5-minute BJ or something? What's the going rate on those these days?)

But I knew I couldn't rely on google image searches for my answer. Naturally, I took my query to the most reliable source of information on the web, WikiAnswers!
"A US bushel is a measure of dry volume and equals approximately 35 litres, or 8 dry gallons. An Imperial bushel equals approximately 36 litres, or 8 Imperial gallons. A peck is also a measure of dry volume and equals 8 dry quarts in both the US and Imperial systems. There are 4 pecks in a bushel."
So love is a dry good, eh? That's interesting--that whore from last night would probably beg to differ! (whoa, whoa, hey there now) But that's besides the point. This is what I have so far: 1 bushel = 35 litres (sp?) = 8 dry gallons. So dry gallons--that's like evaporated milk, right? The dry milk residue that's left after all the liquid milk evaporates? That sounds about right. You might recall that I'm pretty bad when it comes to milk-related things.

Milk-related thing (a.k.a. Superdude)
Other Milk-related thing (a.k.a. Gay Sean Penn)

Also, there are apparently 4 pecks in a bushel. So why didn't the song just say "I love you 5 pecks" instead of "a bushel AND a peck." Keeping the same units of measurement would have made the overall message of song much clearer. Plus, you have the extra double meaning of pecks as kisses. So in the new remixed better version, a bushel and a peck would be equivalent to 5 kisses, which would make a helluva lot more sense than it does now. "The amount I love you is equivalent to five brief kisses--no more no less." Now that's quantifying love.

Five of these? Count. Me. In.

These are the things that I think about now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "What if you hadn't fallen in love with me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment