Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Day 135 - The Sincerest Form of Flattery

Day 135.

They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Well, thanks to the existence of The Grey's Anatomy Miracle Cure and The Miriam/Proposal Project, I guess I should consider myself pretty flattered then.

Oh, you shouldn't have!

Yup, you read that correctly--there are at least two other blogs that took my "watch something shitty over the course of a year" idea and ran with it, spawning more and more posts of daily mental anguish and miserable existences.

To be fair, the authors of both blogs asked for my permission to start these offshoots and of course, I gave it to them. After all, I don't own exclusive rights to the idea of watching something every day for a year. Hell, this blog is just a total ripoff of Julie's original blog, so who am I to try and prevent the cycle of ripoffs from progressing forward?

***

First of all, The Grey's Anatomy Miracle Cure is one anonymous doctor's quest to conquer the entire series of Grey's Anatomy in a year.

"My plan is to watch, in 365 days or less, every single episode of Grey's Anatomy. I know it will make me feel better. And by better, I may mean worse."
The author emailed me in February, letting me know that she was doing this:
"Your blog is amazing and you are a boy genius. I am in awe and because of my awe I decided to imitate you.
We have nothing in common otherwise but thank you for giving hope to broken hearted lesbians everywhere."
I have no idea what "broken hearted lesbians" have to do with anything, but I was flattered and intrigued by the idea that someone would take my silly, trivial blog premise and apply it to something other than a movie.

Now, I haven't seen one episode of Grey's Anatomy (seeing as I'm too busy watching... other things), but I think a lot of her observations are funny and as an actual doctor, she brings an interesting perspective to the table. At least more interesting than "Hey, I'm a snot-nosed college kid with no interest in cooking whatsoever," right?

So definitely check that out.

***

The Miriam/Proposal Project is basically the same as the Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project, except Miriam (also a college student) chose to watch the Ryan Reynolds-Sandra Bullock romantic comedy, The Proposal every day for a year, instead of Julie & Julia. I wish she had picked a better movie to watch, but then again, so do I.

Oh, and when I said basically the same, I meant pretty much exactly the same.

My "By The Numbers" Post
Miriam's "Vital Stats" Post

As you can see, Miriam borrowed this concept from me, but she graciously acknowledged the fact that I did it before her, so I can't really blame her for anything. Also, it's hard for me to be mad about this, considering that I also don't own the idea of counting stupid things in movies. There are only so many things you can do when you watch the same movie every day--I get that.

Then why do I feel so strange about this whole copycat thing? I mean, at the risk of sounding like a Julie Powell-esque whiny-ass bitch, I just couldn't get into Miriam's website as much as I wanted to. Because, well, I felt like I was reading myself. And I don't know--I write stupid shit. Why is someone replicating the stupid shit that I write? It really makes no sense to me.

NEWSFLASH: THIS IS A DUMB IDEA.

And to be clear, I don't blame Miriam in any way, because I know a lot of this is just blog envy on my part. Most of her other posts are a hell of a lot more insightful than the drek I throw around on here and I feel somewhat guilty that I've somehow managed to reach this bizarre niche audience of irony-appreciating non-fans/fans of a culinary comedy-drama released in 2009, while she hasn't seemed to find the same kind of fans of The Proposal yet (You guys are the man--I don't tell you that enough).

What I guess I'm trying to say is: If you like the Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project, please visit the Miriam/Proposal Project blog here.

She's got a unique voice, she's funny, she's British, she's new--plus, she's writing about a different horrible movie that she's watching every day!

***

So where does that leave me? I mean, I know I should be flattered (and I am), but I can't help but wonder: What have I inadvertently created? These are blogs, inspired by a blog, inspired by a movie about a book about a blog about a book. I mean, I usually love meta-shit, but my head just hurts right now.

If only I looked as good as Meryl does here.

And I really do despise the fact that my blogger hubris is growing day by day. I mean, I was bothered by blogs that were a little derivative of mine, even though my blog is completely derivative of Julie Powell's. That's not cool. That is the opposite of cool. God, I really do hate what I've become.

Internet, I don't get you at all.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "There's her famous mortar and pestle."

No comments:

Post a Comment