Friday, April 15, 2011

Day 137 - Revenge of the Onion

Day 137.

Hey, do you guys remember all those onions I used to have a couple of weeks ago? Well I must confess that I didn't end up using them all for the post. I actually kept one or two around for sentimental reasons or something because I'm kind of a sap like that. But then, today as I was cleaning my room for the first time in months, I noticed something pretty weird.

What the hell?

Yeah, it looks like some kind of freak alien salad fingers is trying to claw its way out of this onion's womb. I was pretty freaked out--shit was too sporelike. But then I picked it up and realized... it's just flowering... or something.


I mean, this is all still pretty weird to me because let's face it--I'm no professor of herbology. Julia Child did not prepare me for this! How the hell was I supposed to know that leaving an onion chilling in the dark under a chair for a few weeks would make the thing flower? This is not something they teach you in college! Can any of you amateur foodies/gardeners tell me what's going on here? Should I be concerned? I keep picturing a Little Shop of Horrors type scenario playing out here soon, which to be honest, would be kind of awesome.

What I wouldn't give to be Rick Moranis for just one day.

Or maybe I just have a green thumb. Please, someone tell me what's going on before I go ahead and invest the rest of my college tuition in expensive seeds.


In the meantime, I will continue to grow my precioussssss until it's ready to do master's bidding.

I realize that onions don't just turn into tomatoes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia 
Quote of the Day: "So the onion is ready, but..."

No comments:

Post a Comment