Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Day 149 - Julie Powell: Speed Reader

Day 149.

Today, as I was watching Julie & Julia (as I do), I noticed something kind of interesting. Or rather, I made a fascinating discovery--Julie Powell might be the fastest reader of all time. Allow me to present: Exhibit A.

Exhibit A

Exhibit A: Julie Powell is lying in bed, reading Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child. She appears to have only read a few pages.

Exhibit B

Exhibit B: Julie Powell finishes the page she was on and positions her fingers to flip to the next one, still appearing to be in the very beginning section of this gigantic, 753-page cookbook.

And here's where it gets weird... BAM!!

Exhibit C
Exhibit C: Right before she flips the page, the shot changes and the camera shifts from a side-angle to a frontal one. Julie Powell flips the page and is now at least 3/4ths of the way through the book. Note that she only appears to have flipped a page or two between shots.

Question: How the hell did she read that much in 1/100th of a second?!?

DONE.

Reading that quickly is not humanly possible-- I used to think I was a fast reader in elementary school when I would finish a Boxcar Children book in a week, but this is just ridiculous. All this time I thought she was an idiot, but it seems as though she might be some sort of reading savant. You can't even use the argument that she was just flipping through the cookbook and not even reading it. I saw it with my own two eyes! She's at the beginning of the book, she flips the page, and BAM, she's almost at the end of the book. The only explanation is that she read all those middle parts in a fraction of a fraction of a second!

Even Not Mark Ruffalo can't believe his eyes.

Sure, maybe this is just a sloppy continuity error on the filmmakers' parts, but that's no fun. Plus, I'm pretty sure all movies are perfect. I will now offer a much likelier hypothesis.

Julie Powell reads at a speed of 178,905,729,487 words per minute.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "For the servantless American cook, that's me alright."

No comments:

Post a Comment