Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Mulberry and Rhubarb Crumb Cake



"Can I come and get some eggs?" I asked Robert early one morning. "Sure. I will have something for you when you get here" he replied.

I drive to their farm at least once a week these days. So many new recipes to test that I never seem to have enough eggs. It is also a great excuse to say hi to the goats and the chickens, as well as watching how the garden is growing.

"It is getting too hot" he explained. The brussels sprouts didn't make it, nor did the tiny wild strawberries.



But as I was getting ready to leave, he reached in the cooler and brought out this basket full of ripe mulberries. Deep purple, soft, sweet and as large as I have ever seen them.

A "whoa" escaped me. I was so excited. Hand picked the day before.

When I came home, I pulled out some frozen rhubarb and made a quick crumb cake before Jon got home from school. A sweet afternoon treat.

I wish I had someone to photograph my hands right after. Purple as can be.




I also wanted to remind you that this Thursday will be the last day to vote for Saveur's 2011 Best Food Blog Awards where one of my images was nominated for Best Food Photo.

Saveur also posted a very interesting timeline of the history of food blogs, where I was listed among amazing food bloggers.

Also, next week I will be speaking at this year's BlogHer Food Conference in Atlanta. Will you be attending?

Mulberry and Rhubarb Crumb Cakes

adapted from Martha Stewart Living

Makes a 9"x9" tart pan

6 Tbs unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cup superfine brown rice flour
1/4 cup quinoa flour
2 Tbs almond flour
2 Tbs potato starch


1/2 cup unsalted butter, room tempertaure
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp lemon zest
2 eggs, room temperature
1/3 cup superfine brown rice flour
1/3 cup quinoa flour
2 Tbs almond flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups ripe mulberries
1 cup diced rhubarb

Mix the first seven ingredients in a bowl until it forms a crumble. Chill it for 20 minutes.

Pre-heat oven to 350F. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and powdered sugar together. Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix and scrape the bowl well. Add the dry ingredients and mix until the batter comes together.

Grease a 9"x9" square tart pan. Spread the cake batter evenly. Top the batter with the mulberries and rhubarb. Top the fruit with the chilled crumble (there might be some leftover crumble that you can freeze for another time).

Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cake cool, then cut it into 2 inch squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment