Monday, June 20, 2011

Day 203 - How I Got a Job By Watching The Same Movie Every Day

Day 203.

As I've mentioned previously on this blog, I will be spending this summer in San Francisco, which is pretty fucking sweet. But I haven't actually said why... until now! I'm proud to say that as a direct result of the Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project, I am now gainfully employed as an intern at Heat Advertising.

This is the closest I'll ever get to being paid to watch Julie & Julia.

Allow me to explain. Last time, when I was in San Francisco, a blog reader by the name of Scott R. shot me an email telling me that he "thought this was one of the best ideas I’ve seen for anything in a while" and then asked me what I was doing for a job this summer.

Needless to say, I was taken aback--in a good way. Really? One of the best ideas he's seen in awhile? Even I don't speak so highly of my creative endeavors. In fact, I always thought the premise of this blog was half-baked at best. But hey, who am I to tell an important potential employer that I think hiring someone based on his Julie & Julia blog is silly?

I went in for an interview later that week and apparently established some sort of credibility/demonstrated my sanity because I eventually learned that I got the internship.

Today was my first day.

The HEAT pit.
The HEAT kitchen
The HEAT couches

My shitty photobooth pictures don't do it justice, but the office is super chill. Not to mention all of the super happening people I met today (some of whom I know might be reading this right now), who I'm really looking forward to getting to know. Mostly, I'm excited to spread the gospel of Julie & Julia with a brand new community (read: my college friends are really sick of me talking about the homosexual overtones in Tucci's performance as Paul Child). Some of my coworkers have already suggested an office-wide screening, so we'll see what happens there.

You actually want to hire this.. this Julie & Julia... blogger?
Why the fuck not?

Also, of note, when I was making the rounds for introductions, at first I got a lot of quizzical looks, soon followed excited moments of realization--"You're the Julie & Julia guy!" they screamed.

Yes, that's me, the Julie & Julia guy... and I should probably just concede to being the Julie & Julia guy for the rest of my life. I might as well embrace it--after all, in this horrible job market, I suppose that's the thing that put me over the top, which is, let's face it, is incredibly comical shit-your-drawers hilarious. 

The lesson you should all be taking away here is that if you find yourself unemployed and desperately seeking a job, just watch the same movie every day for a year and blog about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia 
Quote of the Day: "Somebody will want this job."

No comments:

Post a Comment