Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Behind The Scenes With Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine



It was back in March when I received an email from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine editor-in-chief Anna Last asking if I would be interested in creating a story for their special summer issue.

I had briefly met Anna last year when I went to a party at the MSLO offices and I have been a fan of the magazine for a long time. Needless to say I was utterly excited and jumped on the idea right away.



When I started to think about possible locations to shoot, my first thought was my friend Lena's new house. She was in the middle of renovations, but her contractor did miracles and finished on time for us to shoot.

The kitchen is full of light, modern yet inviting, there is a pool and a dock for fishing... It was perfect for a summer outdoor party photo shoot.



I brought most of my dishes and props as we wanted to keep it true to my style and how I really cook and entertain for my friends and family.

We started early in the morning preparing the menu items for the evening party. Spanish tortilla, ensalada mixta, shrimp, cannellini and fennel salad, chilled corn soup, heirloom tomato salad, raspberry and yogurt sorbet, almond shortbreads, horchata sherbet for milkshakes, and honeydew mojitos.



It was such a fun day. Lena and Ted's kids, Ethan and Cal, helped me prep. So awesome to watch them cut with my 10-inch chef's knife. Already pros.

The amazing John Kernick shot the entire story. I was really impressed by how simply he worked. And so laid back, which I appreciated.

Later that evening, my family arrived and we had a party! Kids swam, even spent time fishing on the dock, we ate, chatted, and had ice cream sandwiches and milkshakes to top it all off. Perfect summer day.



Here is an image of the cover and you can find the entire 10-page story inside it.

The magazine is full of summer menu ideas and recipes I want to try. Heidi and Ree also share some of their favorite summer recipes. It is on newsstands everywhere now, so if you see it, pick it up!



Thank you the Everyday Food team, John, and Lena!

Images 1, 2, and 10 are courtesy of Everyday Food.

All other images are courtesy and copyright of Lena Hyde and cannot be used without permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment