Monday, August 1, 2011

Day 245 - Handshake Thievery!

Day 245.

As a young lad, I watched a shit ton of Hey Arnold!, arguably the best TV show in an era full of quality children's programming otherwise known as 90s Nickelodeon.


Oh, you disagree? Case in point: Pigeon Man. Straight up the most beautiful 11 minutes of a kids' show that you will ever see. I could write pages upon pages speaking to the merits of Hey Arnold! (and I have, in a 16-page research paper), but I will refrain from doing so for all of our sakes. This isn't a Hey Arnold! blog after all--it's a Julie & Julia blog. Two very different beasts.

But are they really? Because the last time I saw Julie & Julia (about 5 minutes ago), I happened to notice a very familiar handshake between Julia and her sister Dorothy...

wuP3L0 on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

Pretty cool handshake, right? Something that could only be shared between the best of friends? I know exactly what that's like. And how do I know this?

BECAUSE THEY ALREADY DID IT IN EVERY 
SINGLE EPISODE OF HEY ARNOLD!


Now this should come as no surprise to any of you. Julie & Julia is notorious for its unabashed theft of cinematic devices. But to steal so egregiously from one of my most beloved childhood television shows! How dare you, Julie & Julia? Have you no shame? Fuck it, I'm done being angry at you--let's end on a more... beautiful note, shall we?

"Of course they'll come back--they're birds. I trust them. I understand them. It's people I don't understand. You, see Arnold, it's time for me to leave here. Some people are meant to be with people. And others, like me, are just... different... Arnold, don't be sad. You taught me that some people can be trusted. And I'll never forget that."
--Pigeon Man

"Remember Arnold. Always wash your berries before you eat them. And fly towards the sun."

*sheds single tear*

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "We dress pigeons."

No comments:

Post a Comment