Sunday, June 19, 2011

Day 202 - Father's Day

Day 202.

Happy Father's Day, everyone! I hope you all remembered to call your dads. Unless, of course, you don't have a dad... in which case, I feel very sorry for you bastards.


Those of you who've seen this movie should know that Julie actually isn't on the phone with her dad here. That's because there is a shocking lack of fathers in Julie & Julia, the motion picture. In fact, I kept my eye out for any appearances of dads, fathers, pops, daddies, papas and/or pop-pops throughout today's screening and only found two.

Julia Child's Dad
Ivan Cousins, Father-to-be

That's right, only 2 dads in a two-hour long movie--and they were onscreen within minutes of each other! What gives? Why does Julie & Julia give dads the short shrift in terms of characters and screen time? Hell, Ivan Cousins shouldn't even count because we never actually see his and Dorothy's kid!

Why does Julie Powell never talk to her dad about her blog? Where is Not Mark Ruffalo Sr. during all of this? Does Nora Ephron have male abandonment issues?

Something's missing in this picture.

Papa, can you hear me?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia 
Quote of the Day: "Incidentally, my father is horrified I'm going to cooking school."

No comments:

Post a Comment