Saturday, August 6, 2011

Day 250 - SF Chefs (pt. 1)

Day 250.

I got my daily viewing of Julie & Julia out of the way early this morning because I knew I'd be spending the day at SF Chefs 2011, which is this huge fucking food festival here in San Francisco.

Most of you know that it's really hard to take a cool picture of yourself. Why?
Because taking a picture of yourself is inherently the uncoolest thing a person could do.

What does one do at SF Chefs? Good question. I think most people just eat (and drink) a FUCKTON (which I did/will get to tomorrow). But the first thing I did was go to the Illy Chefs Challenge: As Seen on TV, which was basically a kind of Iron Chef competition, but on a smaller scale. Here's the blurb from the website:
"Chris Cosentino (Chef vs. City, Incanto) and Elizabeth Falkner (Top Chef Masters, Citizen Cake & Orson) take on Dominique Crenn (Next Iron Chef, Atelier Crenn) and Russell Jackson (a.k.a. "The Dissident Chef", Lafitte). Each pair will be presented with a surprise market basket provided by the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market and will be challenged to create a dish in a race against the clock! Each course must creatively showcase the key ingredient, Illy coffee, as a common thread."
Now, I don't personally watch a lot of these shows (used to be a big Iron Chef fan, original series of course.), but I checked these chefs out a little before I went. They are legit as fuck (way moreso than that asshole Bobby Flay, which means also 100x more of chefs than Julie Powell. Probably not Julia Child status though, but who is?). Plus, if this thing was going to be anything like the video below, I knew it wasn't going to be a disappointment.



Anyways, for those of you who are into celebrity chefs and shit (who I suspect many readers of L/J&J are), I took a ton of photos during the whole thing.

Makeshift kitchen stadium
Elizabeth & Chris
Russell and Dominique
Elizabeth making coffee pasta. Brilliant.
Chris with a giant fucking coffee press.
Umm, coffee ice cream made from liquid nitrogen?
FUCK YEAH!!!!
Russell, never one to be outdone, counters with FIRE!!!
Chris cutting some pork. He would later cover this in coffee grounds.
Brilliant.
Schmoozing the judges.
Awaiting the final verdict...
Elizabeth and Chris win the whole thing!!! $20,000 for Meals on Wheels!
GIANT FUCKING CHECKS!!! HOORAY!!

So basically, yeah... The Lawrence/Julie & Julia Project has officially made the transition from blog about a movie about a blog about food to just a straight up food blog. And god knows the Internet needs more of those...

But I did have a lot of fun watching real professional chefs go at it... instead of fucking Julie Powell...


Tomorrow's post: ALL THE AMAZING SHIT I ATE TONIGHT.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "I'm not a real cook, like Julia Child or Mario Batali."

No comments:

Post a Comment