Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 251 - SF Chefs (pt. 2)

Day 251.

Yesterday, when I was watching the Illy Chefs Competition at SF Chefs 2011, I won a golden ticket, so to speak. Or rather, a good Samaritan named Erik K. gave me his extra ticket to the Saturday Night Grand Tasting, an event that would've cost $150 for someone to go to regularly.


Though I have seen the film Julie & Julia 250+ times, I don't claim to be a foodie by any definition of the word. I mean, I like food. And I like to eat good food. Who doesn't? It's just that my definition of good food is pizza rolls and tapioca pudding...  So going into this big event, I wasn't sure if this whole "tasting" thing was going to be my scene. After all, I am a watch-the-same-movie-over-and-over kind of blogger, not a food blogger.

But I went in with an open mind and thought I'd make the best of my free tasting. A free meal is a free meal, right? But boy, was I wrong. Not about how good everything was--about the meal thing, singular.




I ate all of this in the span of an hour and a half.

There was sooooo much fucking food there. In retrospect, I was not prepared for this "tasting," because I had no intention of "tasting" anything. I pretty much went in with the mindset that I had to make the most of this golden opportunity and eat as much as I fucking could.

Do you ever look at a menu at a really nice restaurant and wish you could just order one of each? Well, that's what this food tasting thing was--I literally had one of each.




My face was stuck like this for the entire night.

I always appreciated how good the dishes in Julie & Julia looked onscreen, but to actually see professionally plated morsels of deliciousness in front of you is a whole 'nother experience. I was actually glad to have watched the movie earlier that morning because it usually made me hungry.

And eating all that shit? My God, I thought I was going to die of an overdose of richness. Like, I was fairly convinced that the coroners  would find that my veins had been clogged with foie gras during the autopsy and have to pump my stomach to get rid of all the crispy pork belly I had downed.




I would kill to be a member of this board.

I must have eaten at least 5 lbs. worth of food last night and honestly, I don't regret a thing. On the other hand, if the toilet in my brother's apartment could talk, I doubt it would have anything nice to say at this juncture.

For the first time EVER, I sat through my daily viewing of Julie & Julia this afternoon and not one thing onscreen made me feel hungry at all. For I had already eaten everything there was to eat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Julie & Julia
Quote of the Day: "Absolutely delicious, if I do say so myself."

No comments:

Post a Comment