Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 102 - Onionbombing

Day 102.

I know you guys are probably sick of me and my onions by now, but they are really all I can think about lately. I literally see, smell, and breathe onions. I mean, I should probably throw them away soon--but what a waste, right? Still can't find a food pantry or homeless shelter that will just accept a garbage bag full of chopped onions from some guy... if anyone know of any other things I can do with the onions, let me know. In the meantime, I have been using them to create a new internet meme (or at least, a super lame version of one).

I'm not sure if you all are familiar with photobombing, but Urban Dictionary defines it as "An otherwise normal photo that has been ruined or spoiled by someone who was not supposed to be in the photograph." (Wow, that's a surprisingly tame definition by Urban Dictionary standards. Whatever you do, DO NOT search for "birmingham booty call" *chuckles to self as everyone searches for "birmingham booty call"*)

Hint: It has nothing to do with Birmingham.

Anyways, I think photobombing is pretty funny. And so does the rest of the internet. So I figured if photobombing can catch on, why not ONIONBOMBING?

Onionbombing: An otherwise normal photo that has been ruined or spoiled by onions.

In the spirit of Julie & Julia, my first attempt at onionbombing was at an art gallery of sorts. You know, like the one Paul Child puts on in the movie?

That is some damn good art.
That is some damn good Roy William Gardner.

Oh, and I didn't just go to any art gallery. I am privileged enough to be just a stone's throw away from one of the most badass art museums ever--I am talking about The Art Institute of Chicago, of course. If you've ever been there before, you'll know that the place is huge and impossible to see in a day. However, it is possible to onionbomb a bunch of famous works of art with your friend's iphone while the security guys aren't looking.

Yo Pablo Picasso, you've just been onionbombed!
Twice! Take that "The Old Guitarist!"
What's that, "A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte?"
You hate onions? Well, too bad!!
No one can escape! Not even you, "American Gothic!"

So yeah, it's not quite the same as photobombing--it's just pictures of me holding up a bag of onions next to priceless works of art--but you get the idea. Photos + Onions = Hilarious. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to onionbomb the VanGogh self-portrait or Nighthawks because there were too many people/security guards watching. You've got to be mad sneaky (and a little insane) to do this.

And yes, I realize that some people might think I am desecrating these artistic masterpieces by exposing them to pungent onion fumes, but cut me some slack here. At least I did not take the onions out of my little ziploc baggy and rub them over the "American Gothic" farmer's face or anything. I mean, I get it. Art should not be trivialized by onions. I understood that after getting all those dirty looks from the legitimate fine art connoisseurs around me. But was it worth it in the end? Totally.

And on that note, I hope that I may inspire you all to Onionbomb things of your own! Your photos don't have to be Julie & Julia-related (though it's preferable), but I'd really like to see this become the start of a big grassroots movement or something. Just send me photos of you with onions in places where onions don't belong and I'll publish them on the blog.

SEND YOUR ONIONBOMBS TO lawrenceandjulieandjulia@gmail.com AND BECOME MILDLY FAMOUS!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Julie & Julia Quote of the Day: "It was such a wonderful exhibition, Paul."

No comments:

Post a Comment